Revised June 14, 2993

 

Rurouni Kenshin Fanfic

Rurouni Kenshin & Samurai X Original Japanese Version © N.Watsuki/Shueisha * Fuji-TV * SME Visual Works Inc. * Sony Pictures Entertainment

All Fanfics created by Chiruken (me) were written for the sole purpose of shared entertainment and not intended for publication or sale.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

A Meiji Murder

by Chiruken

Chapter 2

 

~1880~

 

 

I have half an hour to decide how to tell Kaoru about my sudden entrance into a profession in law enforcement.  I don’t know how to even bring up the subject in an inoffensive way.  I look away from my bowl of rice and watch her carefully.  She’s already in a foul mood this morning it seems.  No matter what I say, it’s probably going to result with me on the painful end of a bokken.  Kami-sama, how do I get myself into these messes?  “Um…Kaoru-dono…” I begin hesitantly then allow the words to trail off as my mind draws a blank.  I can’t think of a suitable way to broach this sensitive subject.

 

“What is it, Kenshin?”  She pauses with her hashi raised partway to her mouth, sapphire blue eyes intent on my own, curiosity and a hit of worry revealed in their depths.

 

“I’ll be starting a…um…job this evening, that I will.”  I groan inwardly.  Nothing quite like just blurting it out, Himura.  Smooth, real smooth.

 

“I beg your pardon?  Did you just say you’re starting a job tonight?”  I nod slowly and offer her a bright smile, my usual cheerful rurouni standby.  “Why didn’t you tell me you were looking for a job?  What’ll you be doing then?  And why are you working at night?”  Her eyes widen and her hashi clatter onto the floor.  Masaka!  Kenshin, you can’t!  Think of all those years as a rurouni…think of all the regrets!  Please, Kenshin, don’t go back to being an assassin!”

 

“An…assassin?”  I feel my eyes go round in amazement.  “Is that what you believe?  You think I’m returning to the life of…hitokiri?”  I never would have thought she’d assume something like that.

 

“Well aren’t you?  That is what you were trying to say, isn’t it?”  I had no idea that she had such little faith in me.  Somehow, I always thought that she believed in me…no matter what the situation.  I’m a little hurt by this lack in trust she seems to be displaying

 

“No, Kaoru-dono, that isn’t what I was saying, that it is not.”  I sigh and set my bowl aside, my appetite gone.  “I’ve accepted the position of Assistant Inspector in the Keishichou, that I have.”

 

“A…police officer?”  There is definite relief in her expression, which means she truly did believe I was returning to the life I’d left behind all those years ago at the end of the revolution.

 

“Y-you’re gonna be a…cop?!”  Up until now, Yahiko has remained silent throughout the exchange between Kaoru and myself, but his incredulous shout leaves no doubt as to whether he was paying attention or not.  “You’re kiddin’, right?”  I shake my head and offer him a reassuring smile.  “Kenshin, it’s dangerous bein’ a cop.”  I refrain from pointing out that as things are now my life is dangerous and adding a uniform isn’t going to change things.

 

“Why Kenshin?  You never mentioned an interest in such things before, so why now?”

 

“It seemed the right thing to do, Kaoru-dono, that it did.”  I can’t very well tell her the truth behind this, not if I want her to speak to me again.  Kaoru would never forgive me if I implied this sudden interest in a career in law enforcement was merely a way for me to help bring in money.  She’s too proud to admit she needs help for anything.  Kaoru seems to believe it is her mission in life to try to carry all responsibilities on her slender shoulders.  I wish she’d willingly let those who care about her help with this burden.

 

“Wait a minute…you said you’re gonna be the Assistant Inspector, right?”  I nod in agreement, watching as the boy’s frown deepens to a scowl.  “Doesn’t that mean you’ll be workin’ with Saito?”  There’s a definite note of suspicion in his narrowed eyes.

 

“Saito?”  Kaoru leans forward, her fist slamming onto the chabudai with enough force I jump despite myself as the dishes rattle in their places.  “Have you completely lost your mind?  That delinquent cop is a lunatic.  Have you already forgotten what he did to you?  In case you have, I haven’t.  He almost killed you, Kenshin!”  Her voice is rising with her growing anxiety and also contains a hint of accusation in her tone.

 

“But Kaoru-dono…” I fall silent at her furious glare.  At least she isn’t throwing things…yet.  It never fails to amaze me how someone as sweet and kind as Kaoru usually is could have such a nasty and violent temper.  I’d like to say it’s part of her charm, but since I’m usually on the receiving end of her anger, I just find it painful.  One look at the expression in her flashing eyes and I begin to think that maybe I should start running now before actually does start flinging objects at my head.

 

“Why would you agree to work with that man after everything he did to you…and us?  He almost killed Sanosuke and ruined my wall and floor.  He held Yahiko, Megumi and I hostage and then he tried to kill you before dragging you to Kyoto.  He almost got you killed in Kyoto, Kenshin.  What makes you think he can be trusted now?  What if he tries to kill you again?  What’ll you do then?  Revert back into Battousai again?  What happens if you can’t come out of it this time?”

 

She has valid concerns, even if they are misplaced.  “You have nothing to worry about, Kaoru-dono, that you do not.  Neither Saito nor I have any intentions of continuing that duel.  I promise you, Kaoru-dono, I’ll never again become hitokiri known as Battousai.  I don’t have to, not now, not after shishou risked his life to teach me the Ama-Kakeru-Ryu-No-Hirameki.”

 

“You’ve already made up your mind so no amount of reasoning will change it.  I don’t know why you’re doing this, but if it’s something you feel you want to do, I won’t try to stop you.  I don’t like it, but it’s your decision.”  Now it’s my turn to narrow my eyes suspiciously.  That was too easy.  I wonder why she gave up the argument so quickly.

 

Kuso!  I’m gonna be late!  Tae asked me to come early today.  Gotta go.”  Yahiko jumps to his feet and hurries to the shouji.  “Be careful, Kenshin, all right?  Saito’s dangerous.”  I smile as he slams the shouji shut.  Yahiko is wise beyond his years, but he really doesn’t have anything to worry about.  Saito is dangerous…but only if I let my guard down and I’m certainly not foolish enough to do that.

 

“All right, Kenshin.  I want the real reason why you’re doing this.”  I smile innocently and spread my hands in a noncommittal gesture.  I knew it.  It had been too easy.  “Don’t give me that look.  I want the truth.”  I look away with a shrug.  “You’re doing this because you think you have to help me financially, right?”  I blink in surprise but resist the urge to answer.  She sighs and shakes her head.  “I admit the extra money would be nice, but not if you’re placing your life at risk to earn it.  You’re more important to me than a new water bucket, you know.”

 

I shift uneasily under her steady gaze.  I’m not comfortable with this turn in our conversation.  Kaoru doesn’t usually discuss her feelings with me.  It isn’t that I don’t know she cares for me, it’s just that I’m not particularly comfortable discussing matters as intimate as this.  I look down at the surface of the chabudai…anywhere but into the entrancing blue of her eyes.  “I didn’t realize the water bucket was in need of replacement, that I did not.”

 

“You’re missing the point I’m trying to make.  All I’m saying is I don’t want you to feel it necessary to place yourself in dangerous situations out of some foolish sense of duty.  Do what you want, Kenshin, but not because you feel obligated.”  She places the bowls on the tray and stands, lifting it with her.  “Come on…I’ll help with the dishes.  I don’t have to teach today.”  I stand slowly and frown as she carries the tray to the kitchen.  I wish she would’ve told me she didn’t have to teach today.  I wouldn’t have blurted out my career plans quite so…bluntly…if I would’ve known I had more time to prepare a proper explanation.

 

 

***

 

 

Once the dishes are washed and stored away again in their respective places, I step outside and look around the deserted yard of the doujou thoughtfully.  The laundry I washed before breakfast won’t be dry yet and Yahiko swept the yard before his morning training.  The garden is planted and I watered it after doing the laundry.  Nothing else needs immediate attention.  I shrug and step off the engawa, heading for the bathhouse.  I have some free time to myself, so I may as well take care of some details now…namely an alteration in my appearance.  I have no wish to experience a repeat of yesterday’s embarrassing stares.

 

An hour later, I emerge from the bathhouse into the bright sunlight.  I certainly hope this helps to avoid humiliating occurrences of mistaken gender.  I should probably check the uniform Saito gave me to make certain it’ll fit.  There are definite disadvantages to being smaller than average.  I frown thoughtfully as I cross the yard.  I never really dwelled on it before, but I suppose others would see my lack in height as a hindrance.  Somehow, I’ve always thought of it as more of an asset.  I’m smaller, therefore quicker.  I can also get into places other, larger men can’t.  I shake my head with a grin.  In my mind, that amounts to more than adequate compensation.

 

I slide the shouji open and step into my room out of the bright sunlight.  I blink as my eyes slowly adjust to the dim interior.  I doubt Saito overlooked my size when he arranged for my uniform, but it’s better to be certain.  Who knows if his sense of humor took a turn towards the devious?  It would be just like him to give me a uniform that’s too big and expect me to make the alterations before my shift tonight.

 

A short time later, I tug on the jacket’s hem and study the cuffs.  It isn’t too bad of a fit.  I’m impressed.  I frown at my sakabatou and purse my lips thoughtfully.  How am I supposed to carry it without a proper obi?  I study the uniform belt for a moment.  Well…if it works for Saito…I tuck the saya through the belt and grimace in discomfort.  This doesn’t seem right to me.  Maybe if I wore it a little looser I’d be able to carry the sakabatou and still be able to breathe.

 

I pause in the act of loosening the belt and tilt my head to the side curiously as I sense an approaching ki.  I think it’s Saito, but there’s something odd about his ki.  I frown and quickly finish loosening the belt.  I reach for the boots and step towards the shouji, pausing for a moment to admire the glossy black surface.  There’s something very appealing about the highly polished surface of these western-style boots.  I shake myself out of my reverie and smile a little at my fanciful thoughts.  “Kenshin!”  I slide the shouji open and smile at Kaoru.  She blinks in surprise and stares at my uniform for a moment then gasps when her eyes focus on my recent haircut.  “Um…Saito wants to see you.”

 

“Thank you, Kaoru-dono.”  I wait for her to move so I can step outside, but she only continues to stare at me.  “Kaoru-dono?”  She’s still staring at me.  I sigh inwardly.  It can’t be all that bad.  I admit that I may not have as steady a hand as those professional westerners who’s sole duty is to cut hair, but from what I saw in the mirror it would pass.  Though not as short as it probably should’ve been, I am quite pleased with the results.

 

She blinks and shakes her head with a light blush staining her cheeks a soft pink.  “Sorry.”  She steps back quickly, eyes still focused on my short hair.  “He’s in the front yard.”

 

I nod and sit on the edge of the engawa.  “I wonder what he wants.”  I look up at her as I struggle to pull the first boot on.  This is going to take some getting used to I think.  “Did he say why he’s here?”  I reach for the second boot and wince when my sakabatou twists into my side uncomfortably.  There has to be a better way of doing things…there just has to be.

 

“No, he didn’t.  He just demanded to see you in that superior tone of his.  Arrogant jerk.”  I suppress a grin when she glares in his general direction.  “I hope he doesn’t come around often.  I can’t like that man.”

 

“Now, now Kaoru-dono, there’s no need to be upset, that there is not.”  I stand slowly, readjusting the saya thrust through my belt so it doesn’t poke me in the side.  “It’s inevitable that Saito comes here now that we’re working together.  Maybe with a little effort we can come to some arrangement where we can all get along.”

 

“I doubt it.”  She folds her arms over her chest, a familiar stubborn tilt to her chin.  “If he stops calling me names maybe things could be different.”

 

I have to admit that she has a valid complaint, but I doubt Saito will agree to cooperate.  I shrug and head for the front yard where he’s waiting.  “Stranger things have happened, Kaoru-dono, that they have.”

 

I turn the corner but before I can ask what he’s doing here, he steps forward, a grim expression tightening his features.  “Good.  You’re in uniform.  Let’s go.”

 

“Go?  Go where?”  I scowl at his back as he strides across the yard to the front gate.  “Wait a minute, Saito.  Where are we going?”

 

“An investigation, ahou.  What else?”  I ignore the insult and study how he’s wearing his katana.  His katana appears to be hanging with the edge downwards from his belt…his saya is suspended it seems.  I’m never going to achieve that…I’m missing equipment needed for suspending the saya.  I make a quick adjustment, however, and sigh in relief.  Much better.  At least it isn’t uncomfortable anymore.  I’ll have to look into finding a scabbard much like Saito’s if I want to carry my sakabatou with any amount of ease.

 

I turn to Kaoru with an apologetic smile.  “I’m sorry, Kaoru-dono, that I am.  I’m not certain how long I’ll be and I didn’t get a chance to fold the laundry yet.”

 

She sighs and steps closer, a worried frown puckering her brows, blue eyes shadowed with concern.  “That’s all right, Kenshin.  I’ll take care of it.  Be careful.”  She leans forward, pressing her lips to my cheek in a light caress, and turns, dashing inside, out of sight.

 

I stare after her in surprise and raise a hand, pressing my fingers to my cheek, the feel of her warm caress lingering.  “If you’re finished dawdling, we’re still expected, Battousai.”

 

I turn slowly, eyes narrowed in irritation, and scowl up at him.  “Don’t call me that.”  I’m not surprised when he ignores my displeasure.

 

He reaches inside his uniform jacket, withdrawing a folded sheet of paper.  He holds it out to me with an infuriating smirk.  “A special dispensation allowing you to carry a katana.  It would be an embarrassment to the Keishichou if the Assistant Inspector were to be arrested for the illegal bearing of arms.”

 

“I imagine it would be at that.”  I take the paper and tuck it inside my own jacket, not bothering to read it.  If Saito says it’s a special dispensation, then it is.  He wouldn’t lie about something like that.  “What are we investigating?”  I hurry to keep up with his long strides.  This is one of those rare moments that I actually do feel hindered by my lack in height.  I hate trying to walk with taller people.

 

“The murder of Akagawa Souseki, assistant to the Minister of Finance.”

 

“Oh…” I frown thoughtfully and glance at him from the corner of my eyes.  “Would this murder be connected to the other four that have been mentioned in the newspapers?”

 

He scowls at me and snorts derisively.  “We won’t know that until we begin the investigation, ahou.”

 

“Stop calling me an ahou, Saito.  There’s nothing wrong with my intelligence.  It was an honest question, that it was.”  And I’m supposed to work with him?  I think I may have to become accustomed to being aggravated on a frequent basis.

 

“Stop asking stupid questions and walk faster.”  I grit my teeth in irritation but lengthen my strides.  Insufferable.  Arrogant.  Puffed up with self-importance… Oh yes, I can see how this alliance is going to be unpleasant.  I should’ve remembered the other times we worked together before I agreed to do it again.

 

 

***

 

 

 

          The overpowering scent of blood assails my senses before we even enter the building.  I feel my stomach heave, and then settle as I purposely close my mind to the horror rising up within me.  I ignore the stirrings of my other self…the side I thought myself rid of for good after the completion of my training when my shishou risked his life to teach me the succession technique of the Hiten Mitsurugi Ryuu…the side of me most familiar with death…the hitokiri of the revolution.  This is something I didn't anticipate.  I hope it doesn't prove to be problematic.  I have no wish to ever return to the coldness I’d felt back then.

 

"Inspector Fujita…thank kami-sama you're here."  I pull my mind away from my inner turmoil and focus instead on the pale officer addressing Saito with desperate urgency colouring his tone, determined to ignore the uncertainty and fear the stirrings create deep within myself.  "It's a real mess in there, Sir."

 

"Explain."  I glance at Saito and find his eyes on me, assessing.  Of course…my ki.  He couldn't have failed to notice the abrupt shift in my ki.  I wonder if he expected something like this to happen.  If he did, I wish he would've warned me first, before we arrived here.  It would’ve been nice to be prepared.

 

"It's just like I said, Sir.  It's a real mess.  You have to see it for yourself to understand."  I have a bad feeling about this.  If I can trust my judgment in this, I'd say whatever is inside has severely rattled this officer's nerves.  I wonder what he means by mess.  Could it be that this is his first murder investigation?  Somehow, I doubt that's the problem.  Mess…his choice of words fills me with a sense of foreboding.

 

Saito gestures for me to precede him and though I really don't want to be the first to enter the building, I do it anyway.  The moment I open the western-style door I know we aren't dealing with just a 'normal' type of murder.  Under the busy bustle and professional detachment of the various officer's moving about is fear.  Fear and horror.  It's in their eyes and hushed voices.  Some…if not most…of these officers are hardened veterans, their lined faces and grim expressions attesting to this assumption.  They shouldn't be disturbed by a man's death to this extent.

 

Most of the activity seems to be focused around a door at the end of a long hall.  I glance over my shoulder at Saito.  "Should we…" He nods abruptly, not allowing me to finish the question.  I continue along the hall, the sickly-sweet scent becoming stronger, overriding all other odors.  As we continue down the corridor, I pause next to another door, this one also closed.  Something isn't right.  The scent of blood is much too strong, overpowering everything else, crawling through my senses and threatening to overwhelm me.  I halt before the closed door and frown, closing my eyes in concentration.  There’s something about this door…something tickling the edge of my awareness.  A curt tap on my shoulder brings me back to the present and I continue towards the end of the hall, halting by the officers standing guard outside the office.  I don't want to open this door.  Something tells me I don't want to see what's on the other side.  I draw in a shallow breath, forcing myself into cold detachment and open the door.  "Well…" I step into the room and grimace as my boots squish on the carpet.  "He was right.  It is…messy."  Though I’ve seen many gruesome things over my lifetime and various forms of death from simple old age to the most vicious of murders, I don’t think I’ve ever seen anything quite like this before. 

 

"Well?  Impressions?"  I glance at Saito to see he's studying the room with narrowed eyes.

 

I draw in a shallow breath, trying unsuccessfully to ignore the stench of death and blood permeating the air in the office.  "This isn't a normal murder, for one thing."  I step further into the room as an older officer moves towards Saito, eyeing me curiously.  I force all emotions to the back of my consciousness.  I can’t afford to let my feelings get in the way of my first investigation.  Looking on the scene with calm coldness, I can only describe this scene as horribly gruesome.  Brutality of this caliber shouldn't be shocking for someone with a past such as mine, though I have to admit the assassinations I conducted weren't quite so…messy.  I hear the door open and then close.  "No one saw the killer?"  I direct the question to Saito without taking my eyes off the blood-spattered room.

 

"No."  I hear a match being struck, followed by the acrid aroma of burning tobacco.  I’m thankful to the contrasting scent.  It takes my mind off the scent of so much blood in such a confined space as this office.  "No one saw or heard anything.  The…body…was discovered by a clerk.  He's in another room being questioned."

 

"I doubt he'll have any helpful information."  I study the room with careful detachment, my composure returning finally.  "The killer came through the window."  I turn back to face him.  He nods and draws deeply on his cigarette, eyes moving over the room in much the same manner mine had a moment before.  "Akagawa was killed instantly.  This…" I gesture at the room at large.  "Occurred after his death."

 

"I agree.  I can't see someone remaining silent as he's being dismembered."

 

"What is the purpose behind such an act?  Obviously, his death was only a small part of this.  Retribution?  A warning?"  I frown thoughtfully.  "Has anything been moved?"  He shakes his head silently, watching me intently.  I turn away, pursing my lips in contemplation as my eyes fall on each of the scattered remains of the victim.  "Perhaps some answers lie in the placement of the…parts."  I wrinkle my nose in distaste.  I move forward and suppress a shudder of revulsion at the squishing noise my boots make on the blood-soaked carpet.  I ignore the stares of the other officers as I study the chopped up pieces of Akagawa Souseki.  There seems to be a lot of blood on the floor, walls and ceiling.  I scowl at the dismembered limbs and then the walls before turning back to Saito.  "There's too much blood for one body."

 

He nods and reaches over the desk, stubbing out his cigarette in an overflowing ashtray.  I can’t say I like the smell emanating from it, but I will admit it’s better than the alternative.  "Yes, there is."  He straightens and regards me solemnly.  "However, one body is all there is."

 

 

***

 

 

 

          One body…or rather what’s left of it…and enough blood for two.  I survey the walls and ceiling for a moment, ignoring the now silent officers, feeling their eyes on my as I gingerly step around the room.  Saito lights another cigarette, watching me intently.  I resist the urge to squirm under his steady gaze.  I stare at the floor and silently count parts.  I do this twice, but still only come up with enough pieces for one person.  There’s no mistake…there has to be another body around somewhere.

 

I approach the open window and clear my mind of all but the knowledge of a hitokiri.  I stand with my back to the window, visualizing Akagawa sitting in his office.  My eyes fall on the chair at the desk.  “He was killed here.”  I point at the hole in the back of the chair.  I move into an alert stance as if preparing for attack and hold my hands in the position needed if I were holding a katana.  I spring forward, thrusting the imaginary katana.  “A single thrust.”  I relax my stance and turn back to Saito.  “He was dead before he knew someone was here.”  I look around, searching for the head.  I find it perched on a cabinet.  I frown and tilt my head to the side curiously.  It’s like some kind of gruesome art with the head as the central attraction.  Why would someone scatter all the other pieces of the dismembered body and then take the time to place the head in such a careful way?  I approach it slowly, studying it carefully.  “Hmm…” Without touching it, I examine the severed head thoroughly before finally nodding decisively and turning back to Saito.  “Yes.  A single thrust of a katana through the back of the chair, through the back of his head, probably emerging from his throat.  Instant death.  Virtually painless.”

 

Saito steps forward, drawing on his cigarette deeply.  “I agree.  A fairly merciful death.”

 

“So why this mess?”  I gesture at the room at large.

 

He shrugs, moving closer to the open window and tosses his cigarette out of it.  I frown, but say nothing.  He doesn’t need me to tell him that’s how fires are started.  “As you said before, a possible warning to others.  The question is, who?”

 

I turn back to the head and, ignoring my revulsion, lean closer.  Something seems a little odd about this head.  I look around quickly and reach for a pen from the desk.  I push my distaste aside and grasp the blood-covered pen before turning back to Akagawa’s head.  I lean forward again, inserting the pen into the gaping mouth.  “Hmm…”

 

Saito steps closer, scowling down at me.  “What are you doing?”  The other officers are also moving a little closer, as if morbidly fascinated by my actions.

 

I move the pen around and frown thoughtfully.  I reach up with a grimace of disgust and poke a finger inside, ignoring several gasps of outrage behind me.  “No tongue.”  I step back and look around for something to wipe my hands on.

 

“Was that really necessary, Himura?”  Saito looks more amused than censuring.

 

I nod and take the cloth a young officer holds out with a grateful smile.  “Yes, it was, Inspector.  Unless I overlooked it, Akagawa’s tongue has been removed from the scene of his death.”

 

He leans closer, lowering his voice for my ears alone.  “You’ve shocked the junior officers, Battousai.”  He straightens and moves away from me, staring at the floor and the grisly objects strewn around the room.  “It’s difficult to be certain, but your assumption may be correct.  We won’t know until everything has be categorized, but it does appear that the tongue is missing.”  I hope he doesn’t want me to do the categorizing of body parts.  I’m already beginning to feel a little ill.  The stench of death is slipping past my careful detachment.  I think I need to get some fresh air before I am physically ill.  That wouldn’t be a very good first impression for these junior officers to have of their new Assistant Inspector.  “Tanaka.”

 

The officer who gave me the cloth steps forward.  “Sir?”

 

“See to it that the pieces are gathered and identified.”  The young man, Tanaka, swallows audibly, but nods sharply.  “When it’s done, report to me.”

 

“Yes, Sir.”  He turns away and gestures for his colleagues to approach him.

 

Saito motions to the door and I nod gratefully.  “We will be in the next room, Tanaka.”  I follow him from the bloody room and heave a relieved sigh when the door closes behind us on the ghastly scene of carnage.

 

**To Be Continued…**

 

 

 

Definitions:

 

 

bokken:  a wooden practice sword

 

hashi:  chopsticks

 

masaka:  No!  Impossible!  It can’t be!

 

chabudai:  low eating table

 

shishou:  master; teacher

 

kuso:  1. feces. 2. Damn it! Shit!

 

doujou’s:  place for practice or tournament [martial arts]

 

yukata:  informal summer kimono

 

haori:  short jacket worn over kimono

 

engawa:  veranda

 

Kaoru-dono:  Miss Kaoru, archaic formal term of address, now obsolete

 

Meiji Era:  1868-1912

 

hitokiri:  manslayer; literally people cutter

 

katana:  Japanese sword

 

Battousai:  nickname roughly meaning ‘sword-drawer’