Rurouni Kenshin Fanfic

Rurouni Kenshin & Samurai X Original Japanese Version © N.Watsuki/Shueisha * Fuji-TV * SME Visual Works Inc. * Sony Pictures Entertainment

All Fanfics created by Chiruken (me) were written for the sole purpose of shared entertainment and not intended for publication or sale.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

 

Mamorigami

by Chiruken

Chapter 16

Kaiketsuhou

 

 

        Kenshin’s eyes opened slowly.  He blinked against the glare of the sun, raising his hands to shield his sensitive eyes from the blaring light stabbing through his head.  With a soft groan he turned his head in an attempt to block the sun’s over-bright rays, covering his eyes with one hand while running his fingers through the wild tangle of his hair, wincing when they caught on a few snarls and tugged against his sensitive scalp.  A scent wafted past his nose and he sniffed, attempting to identify the familiar odor.  Slowly, he became aware of sound…the sounds of water.  Brow crinkling into a puzzled frown, Kenshin tried again to lower his hand and peer around himself, but again, the stabbing light hindered his attempt.  Simply put, it hurt too much.  So, he laid with his hand covering his eyes, trying to discern where he could possibly be by using his other senses.

 

        Suddenly he sat upright, a startled cry emerging from his throat as one very important piece of information penetrated his groggy mind.  He didn’t hurt anymore.  The constant pain in his chest was gone.  Almost desperately he pushed back the sleeves of his dark gi and stared in disbelief at the unmarked flesh of his arms.  “How…how can this be?”  He whispered hoarsely, unable to grasp what appeared to be a miracle.  Swallowing with some difficulty, he turned his wide eyes to his right, where he could hear the steady shushing of waves against sand.  He winced at the brilliant glare of the bright sun glinting off the water, but didn’t look away.  He was on a beach.  But…where?

 

        Biting his lip in growing anxiety, Kenshin slowly stood, and froze halfway to his feet.  Slowly straightening, he marveled at the absence of pain in his body.  For so many years…nearly fifteen…pain had been his constant companion.  And now…it was gone.  It was one of the most amazing moments in his life.  He barely resisted the urge to run and jump and race against the wind up and down the beach.  He hadn’t felt this good in so long…

 

        Drawing in a sharp breath, Kenshin turned and stared towards the tall trees growing along the edge of the beach, standing rigid guard over the white sands.  “Shinigami…” He whispered softly.  It had been Shinigami, he was certain of it.  The demon was responsible for this sudden change in his health.  He frowned, a memory tickling the back of his mind, one he knew instinctively was very important…essential, in fact, to explaining the sudden alteration in the state of his health.  Turning fully away from the crashing waves, he detected movement amongst the shadows beneath the tall trees lining the far side of the beach.  Slowly he advanced towards it, expression grim and set with determination.  “Shinigami…” He called, silently congratulating himself for keeping his voice steady despite his thundering pulse.  “Shinigami, I know you’re there.”  The distance slowly disappeared as he made his way across the white sands of the beach, the darker shadow beneath the trees holding very still as he approached.  Finally Kenshin could make out the amber eyes staring at him warily and he halted a short distance from the being hiding amongst the overgrown brush.  “What have you done this time, Shinigami?”  The words emerged sounding much braver than he actually felt and for that he was thankful.  In truth, he was terrified of the demon Shinigami and the tremendous power at its disposal.

 

        Done?  Whatever could you mean by that… Kenshin’s eyes narrowed when the amber gaze slid away from his own, the tone of the voice sounding suspiciously like that of a guilty child attempting to hide their misdeed.

 

        “You know full well what I’m referring to, that you do.”  He crossed his arms over his chest and waited patiently for an explanation.

 

        I merely altered our agreement…somewhat.

 

        “You did…what?!”  His voice rose as he visibly paled, images of his beloved Kaoru suddenly toppling over dead back in Tokyo filling his mind’s eye and for a moment he panicked, his breath catching in his throat as his stomach heaved, his heart stuttering with his growing terror.  He took a shaky step back and stumbled, falling hard to the white sand of the beach.

 

        Calm…calm, itoshigo…your mortal wife still lives… Shinigami regarded the man coolly for a moment.  I have not reneged on our deal, Battousai.  However, I may have a solution to our dilemma.

 

        “Dilemma?”  Kenshin repeated hoarsely, still caught by the fear that somehow he’d failed and that Kaoru had been taken from him, this time permanently.  Slowly he stood again, ignoring the trembling of his limbs.

 

        Yes…you wish to atone for the sins you committed as Hitokiri Battousai as well as protect your mortal wife from the inevitable.  You cannot stop Kisei from claiming her forever…Death will find her, Kenshin, whether you make deals with demons or not.  However, you were able to postpone the inevitable and had many years with her as a result of your selfless act.

 

        “What are you saying?”  It emerged on a whisper, a sinking feeling settling in his heart.

 

        She also committed a selfless act of love…before you departed…you do remember your last night with your beloved mortal wife…don’t you?

 

        Kenshin swallowed with difficulty and felt a flush creep up into his face.  “Ano…” Shaking his head sharply, he scowled towards the last place he’d seen Shinigami’s glowing eyes.  “That has nothing to do with this, that it does not.”

 

        Ah…but it has EVERYTHING to do with our pact…her actions have changed everything, Himura Battousai…

 

        Kenshin shook his head again, more forcefully this time.  “No…” He whispered softly.  “Please…don’t…”

 

        Itoshigo… The voice gentled, became a tender caress.  I wouldn’t cause you unnecessary pain…our pact is binding…however…

 

        “What?”  He was almost afraid to hear the being’s answer.

 

        I don’t… Shinigami paused, amber eyes swiveling back to the wanderer.  I don’t want to give you up again…not this time… The eyes narrowed, became a burning gaze of terrifying intensity.  You are MINE!

 

        Kenshin recoiled at the possessiveness in the controlled shout echoing through the unknown forest lining the beach of white sand, drowning out the crash of waves rolling up out of the blue-green expanse stretching out to the horizon.  Violet eyes wide with horror he began to slowly back away, tripping on the tangled underbrush reaching out to wrap tendrils of green vines around his ankles, he fell landing hard enough to knock the breath out of his body.  He shook his head in denial.  “No…” He swallowed and shook his more emphatically.  “No…you can’t do this…I belong to no one!”

 

        It’s already done, Himura Battousai.  I have already sent the nijuushin in your stead…the doppelganger has already taken your place.  You are mine… The final word echoed eerily through Kenshin’s mind as he slowly sank back, lying sprawled, arms and legs outstretched, in the warm white sand staring up at the cloudless sky, marveling distractedly at how blue it was.  And in accordance with our pact…I claim the debt you owe me.

 

        Numbly Kenshin shook his head, feeling the grit of the sand beneath his hands as he slowly clenched them into fists.  “Three years…there are still three years…” He whispered as his eyes slid shut, a shudder passing through his slender form as he felt a soft breeze flutter near his face.  “Three years…” The words emerged on a soft exhale of breath.

 

        Three years…yes…three years but you must live, Kenshin…I will not let you die…and that is why I have done this…it is done, itoshigo…I will not lose you again, not after so long in searching for you…

 

        “No right…” He whispered, eyes still closed.  “You had no right to alter our agreement without my consent, that you did not.”

 

        I had every right!  I sent the nijuushin in your stead and I will not alter that fact.  The nijuushin will take your place and will satisfy Kisei’s thirst for a death.  You will be safe with me…always…I cannot lose you again!

 

        Kenshin flinched at the desperation tingeing Shinigami’s disembodied voice.  “Who are you?”  He asked softly, eyes slowly opening to stare up at the bright green leaves rustling in the wind against the contrasting blue of the sky.

 

        Shinigami sighed softly and brushed its fingers against Kenshin’s scarred cheek in a gesture of tenderness.  I am Shinigami…and…your… The voice paused, the last syllables drifting away to meld with swishing waves and whispering leaves.

 

        Suddenly memory from the storm, from when he’d felt himself floating in an icy world of pain, flooded into his awareness.  Eyes widening in shock at his newfound knowledge, Kenshin trembled and licked suddenly dry lips.  “Hahaue…” He whispered just before he lost consciousness again.

 

       

***

 

Definitions:

 

Mamorigami:  Guardian (Deity)

Kaiketsuhou:  solution; way out