Rurouni Kenshin Fanfic

Rurouni Kenshin & Samurai X Original Japanese Version © N.Watsuki/Shueisha * Fuji-TV * SME Visual Works Inc. * Sony Pictures Entertainment

All Fanfics created by Chiruken (me) were written for the sole purpose of shared entertainment and not intended for publication or sale.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

 

Mamorigami

by Chiruken

Chapter 17

Kankin

 

 

 

        Shinigami’s island became Kenshin’s home, haven, sanctuary and prison.  He was both an honored guest and an unwilling prisoner of the enigmatic demon.  The boundaries were clearly defined by the blue-green depths surrounding the lush paradise with its tropical fruits and flowers, brightly coloured birds and crystal clear streams of fresh water.  With no boat, ship or raft, Kenshin was effectively stranded on the island.  He now lived in luxury, his every whim catered to almost before he gave thought to it.  His needs were seen to with surprising attention to even the smallest detail.

 

        But he was still a prisoner.

 

        Kenshin closed his eyes and leaned back against the tall tree, breath escaping him on a soft sigh.  What troubles you, itoshigo?

 

        “Stop calling me that, Shinigami.”  Kenshin replied mildly, knowing that his protests were useless.  The being wouldn’t listen no matter how often or how loud he argued against it.  Despite his anger and dislike of the endearment and the subsequent protests he voiced, Shinigami would continue insisting on using it.

 

        So stubborn… The voice was soft, gentle…caressing even.  Soft tendrils of air flowed outwards, tenderly brushing red strands of hair back, trailing finger-like touches down across the rurouni’s face before he jerked away.

 

        “Stop that!”  He glared in the general direction he assumed the demon to be, soft violet eyes becoming infused with angry amber.  “You have no right, Shinigami.  No right at all.”  With an angry hiss the creature pulled away, fallen leaves littering the ground swirling in the miniature tempest.  Kenshin stood, hands closed into fists at his sides as he glared at the center of the swirling mass of leaves, twigs and sand where golden eyes so much like his own glared right back at him.  “You stole everything from me!”  He advanced slowly, more amber creeping into his eyes as his anger grew, finally having an outlet to vent upon.  “Everything I’ve done for the past twelve years has become meaningless!  I sacrificed everything!”  He punctuated his words with a downward chopping motion of his hand.  He closed his eyes, drawing in a deep, calming breath, and when he continued his tone was closer to its normal mild range, though still somewhat strained.  “And now you tell me it was for nothing.”  Slowly he opened his eyes, amber ringed violet full of frustrated resentment liberally interspersed with sorrow.  “I can’t accept that, Shinigami…not even if you are my mother.”  He whispered softly before turning back towards the tree he’d been sitting under.

 

        A low growl emerged from the demon’s direction, alerting the former hitokiri to the being’s growing rage.  No right?  You dare to say that to me, you ingrate!  After all that I’ve done for you…

 

        “Done for me?”  Kenshin whirled and stared at the swirling mass in disbelief.  “What have you done for me, Shinigami?  What have you done beyond…”

 

        Shinigami advanced on the rurouni, whirlwind towering above him.  I gave you your heart’s desire!  I allowed you to spend your days with your mortal family rather than demanding payment immediately for my generous act.  I risked the wrath if Kisei and robbed him of your mortal wife’s death by promising him yours!  I have risked everything for you!

 

        Kenshin blinked and stared into the blazing amber eyes glaring down on him and swallowed.  “I…” He drew in a shuddering breath and wiped his palms against his hakama.  “I never asked you…”

 

        Would your son ask you to protect him?  Would you wait for Kenji to do so?  Or would you simply act?  The voice was infinitely sad, the strong tones softening with sorrow.  Currents of air reached out and brushed against Kenshin’s face.  Your heart cried out and I answered.  I couldn’t stand by and watch you suffer…your heart and soul broken by grief for the loss of your mortal wife.

 

        Kenshin shook his head and stepped back, stopping when his back hit the tree towering high above them, sunlight diffusing through the leaves, casting green and yellow speckled shadows on the white sand at his feet.  “Shinigami…” He whispered softly, sensing a conflicting swirl of emotion behind the words.  He trembled, expression revealing his uncertainty, before he slowly reached out, his fingers coming into contact with the almost solid air currents before him.  He let his hand fall back to his side.  “I am thankful for what you did for Kaoru…” He bowed his head and let out a soft sigh.  ‘You’re right, that you are.  I am being ungrateful, that I am.”  Slowly he looked up again.  “But that doesn’t change the fact that you’re keeping me here against my will.  Regardless of all that you’ve done for me in the past…it’s still wrong, that it is.”

 

        And together we cheated Kisei of his prize…and that is wrong as well.  The swirling debris began to slowly solidify, showing a small transparent form obvious in its femininity.  He will not be cheated again, Kenshin.

 

        Kenshin watched in curiosity as Shinigami’s petite form advanced on him and he finally caught his first sight of the demon in its corporeal form.  His eyes widened in shock.  “Oro?”  The sound emerged on a wavering exhalation as he stared at the small figure standing before him.

 

***

 

Definitions:

 

Mamorigami:  Guardian (Deity)

Kankin:  captivity