Rurouni Kenshin Fanfic

Rurouni Kenshin & Samurai X Original Japanese Version © N.Watsuki/Shueisha * Fuji-TV * SME Visual Works Inc. * Sony Pictures Entertainment

All Fanfics created by Chiruken (me) were written for the sole purpose of shared entertainment and not intended for publication or sale.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

 

Mamorigami

by Chiruken

Chapter 19

Tsuzukeru

 

 

 

        Kenshin stretched his arms over his head, hands reaching up towards the highest branches of the lush foliage of the tall trees towering above him, amber ringed violet eyes fixed on the fluffy white clouds drifting lazily over head.  “Shinigami…” He called softly, knowing the demon would hear without having to raise his voice.  “Ohayou gozaimasu!”  He smiled brightly and dropped his arms to his side to bow respectfully towards a swirling mixture of leaves and sand moving quickly towards him across the wide expanse of the glimmering white beach.

 

        Ohayou, itoshigo.  You are up early… The was a faint questioning note in the reply and Kenshin felt his smile curve into a full-blown grin.  With a slight increase in the breeze ruffling through his red hair, Shinigami returned to her solid form and closed the distance between them.  “What’s that grin for so early in the morning?”  Her golden eyes narrowed suspiciously.  “What are you up to, Kenshin?”

 

        He laughed brightly, eyes sparkling with humor.  “Ahh…always the suspicious one.”  Laughter dieing down into amused chuckles he shook his head slowly.  “It wounds me, that it does.  Don’t you trust me, hahaue?”

 

        She folded her arms over her chest and leveled a scowl towards the laughing rurouni.  “No.”  Her answer was succinct and abrupt.  “No, I don’t trust you.  Not when you’re trying to be charming and distracting.  What are you hiding?”  Kenshin’s eyes flashed amber…her only warning before he unexpectedly disappeared in a whirlwind of leaves and debris.  Eyes widening in shock, Shinigami spun, craning her neck to look around herself, trying to see everywhere at once.

 

        What’s the matter, Shinigami?

 

        Eyes narrowing, the demon turned slowly back to face the tree where the man had stood mere moments before his surprisingly quick disappearance.  Biting her lip in concentration, she sent her senses outwards, searching for her missing son, her annoyance growing when she couldn’t sense him at all.  “Where are you…” She whispered under her breath, turning in a slow circle as she closed her eyes, putting more power into her search.  “Where…” Her eyes snapped open an instant later, in time to see an object come hurtling at her face.  With no time to dodge or counter, she gasped as she fell back, landing sprawling in the warm sand, spitting feathers from her mouth.  “Kenshin!”  She shrieked, jumping back to her feet, fists clenched at her sides.

 

        The former rurouni reappeared in front of her bent double with laughter.  “I-I’d apologize, Shinigami…but it’s just too funny!”  He fell over still clutching his stomach.

 

        “It is, is it?”  Her voice was a low growl.  “I didn’t teach you that little trick so you could play pranks, itoshigo!”  She advanced on him rapidly, her form blurring with the speed she exerted.  And instant later Kenshin found himself flying through the air to land head first with a loud splash in the waves washing up on the shore of the demon’s island.

 

        Standing quickly, water dripping from his drenched form, Kenshin resembled, amazingly enough, a drowned cat.  Amber eyes flashing in anger, he stepped from the waves, trying in vain to wring the excess water from his soaked gi.  “Was that necessary?”  He asked in a low growl.

 

        Shinigami’s lips twitched with her returning humor.  “Here kitty kitty…” She purred, making a mocking face at him and sticking out her tongue in a rare showing of childish immaturity.  “Nyah!”  She turned and ran, exerting her ungodly speed as she heard the outraged shout behind her followed by the sounds of…nothing?  She frowned and risked a glance over her shoulder only to gasp as she met her son’s narrowed amber gaze.  “Eep!”  She yelped when his form impacted with hers, sending her sprawling face first onto the beach.

 

        Kenshin dropped to the ground, sitting cross-legged, and waited for Shinigami to recover.  Arms folded over his chest and expression implacable, he watched as she slowly pushed herself up to her knees, spitting sand and growling under her breath.  “Surprise.”  He stated flatly.

 

        “You…” She sat slowly, trying to regain her dignity.  “You’ve gotten faster.”  And quieter… She added silently.  I have to stop underestimating him… Kenshin smiled, a rather eerie expression in the demon’s mind considering his eyes remained a glittering golden colour, giving the impression that he could read her thoughts.  She cleared her throat.  “Well…” She lifted her chin and sniffed delicately.  “That was…interesting.”

 

        “I’ll bet it was.”  He sighed, expression changing abruptly to one of melancholy.  “Shinigami…it’s been nearly three years…when can I see Kaoru again?”

 

        Shinigami shook her head sadly.  “Itoshigo…we’ve been over this.  It’s impossible.”

 

        His hands closed into fists where they rested on his thighs as he bowed his head, red hair falling over his face to hide his expression.  “Even if I promise to not talk to her?  To just look…from a distance?”  He bit his lip hard as he awaited her answer.

 

        “It’s risky.  If Kisei were to sense your presence…” She paused, a thoughtful frown marring her deceptively youthful features.  “Unless…” She paused, obviously deep in thought.

 

        Kenshin looked up, hope shining in his eyes.  “Unless?”  He urged softly as he leaned forward eagerly.

 

        “There may be a way, Kenshin.  However…” She looked at him sternly.  “It’s risky.  One mistake on your part and everything I’ve done over the past fifteen years will be undone.  Do you understand what I’m saying?”  He started to nod quickly.  “No, you don’t understand.  You couldn’t possibly understand.”  She sighed and stood.  “But I will do this thing for you…because you are my son and I can’t stand to see you so unbearably unhappy any longer.  Wait here for my return.”  With that said she disappeared, form becoming mist that floated away on the gentle tropical air currents.

 

        He turned to stare out over the waves.  “Kaoru…” He whispered softly, eyes unfocused as his thoughts strayed to his wife.  “Kami-sama but I’ve missed you…” He closed his eyes and brought her image to mind, a gentle smile curving his lips upwards.  A soft sigh escaped his parted lips as he thought of her beloved features…the midnight silk of her fragrant hair, the porcelain pale perfection of her skin, the petal softness of her cheek beneath the callused roughness of his fingers… He opened his eyes to stare across the water to the deeper waves indicated by the darker blue… “Blue like her eyes…” He murmured, his soft voice betraying his longing.

 

Drawing in a deep breath he tore his gaze from the mesmerizing waves and turned towards the trees.  He didn’t know what Shinigami was up to now, but he had a bad feeling about it.  If he’d learned one thing through his dealings with the demon, it was that she couldn’t be trusted.  Some how, some way, she always managed to trick him.  His lips quirked upwards into a small smile, fully aware that the irony of the situation was that they were more alike than he’d ever like to openly admit.  Over the past three years he’d seen their similarities more and more often until it couldn’t be denied any longer.  She was his mother whether he wanted to admit it openly or not.  He shook his head with a low chuckle.  He couldn’t think of one person who’d want to admit to being the offspring of a demon.  His humor disappeared quickly.  Maybe just one… He pushed memories of Shishio Makoto from his mind forcefully.  That’s in the past…behind me.  No need to dwell on it any longer.

 

Turning his back on the wide expanse of water, he slowly crossed the familiar white sands of the warm beach to the shade offered by the trees standing tall and straight, reaching up to the sky and swaying gently in the slight breeze.  Spotting a comfortable looking hummock covered with lush brilliant green grass, he turned his steps towards it.  Slowly lowering himself to the soft grass he released his breath on a sigh.  Closing his eyes, he flopped back to lie stretched out, the sun shining through the gently fluttering leaves to brush against his closed lids.  With another soft sigh, he opened his eyes slowly and stared up at the leaves, spotting several exotically coloured birds perched on the branches high above his head, their voices lifting in a rich cacophony of sound.  With a grin he had to admit that he liked Shinigami’s island now that he’d gotten used to it.  It was very peaceful, secluded…it was as close to paradise as he was ever going to get.  His smile faded, replaced by a thoughtful frown.  Where does this leave me now?  He understood that he could never return to his old life…it was impossible now thanks to Shinigami’s intervention.  He didn’t hold a grudge against the demon.  He smiled bitterly.  How could I?  She’s my mother.

 

Suddenly he sat up straight and stared sightlessly across the beach towards the horizon.  For the first time he began wondering about his parentage.  There was no doubt in his mind that Shinigami truly was his mother.  There were just too many similarities between the two of them.  What he was curious about now was who his father was.  Somehow he knew it wasn’t the hardworking farmer who’d died so many years before of cholera.  He wondered if Shinigami would tell him the truth in this matter.  He shook his head slowly, knowing that if she hadn’t told him yet, it would be next to impossible to get her to part with the information.

 

Itoshigo!  Kenshin jumped to his feet, searching for the familiar whirlwind.  Kenshin!  Prepare yourself!  It has been set in motion.  Suddenly dropping down in front of him, the diminutive demon bent forward, hands braced on her knees as she tried to catch her breath.

 

Placing his hand on her shoulder, Kenshin peered into her pale features worriedly.  “Shinigami…are you all right?”  Despite their differences in opinion over how she’d taken over his life, he truly had come to care for her.

 

Smiling as she covered his hand with one of her own, she stood slowly.  “I’m fine.  Just winded.  China is rather far, you know.”

 

“China?”  He allowed his hand to fall by his side.  “What were you doing in China?”

 

“I had to look up a friend of yours…and guide him to the appropriate place.”

 

Eyes widening in sudden understanding he shook his head sharply.  “What have you done now, Shinigami?  Who else have you duped into trusting you?”

 

“Duped?!”  She scowled at the former hitokiri and drew herself up to her full height, the top of her head reaching his nose and poked a stiff finger into his chest hard.  “I’ll have you k now that I was completely honest with you from the start!  Was it my fault that you didn’t listen?”

 

Kenshin gritted his teeth in irritation and stepped back from her, not enjoying having his personal space invaded by the redheaded demon.  “And I suppose you were completely honest with Sanosuke?”

 

Eyes widening and jaw dropping in surprise, Shinigami spluttered for a moment before regaining her usual composure.  “How did you know it was Sanosuke?”

 

“I didn’t.  I guessed, that I did.”  He shook his head with a sigh.  “He’s the only person I know of who left Japan.”  He frowned thoughtfully as he folded his arms over his chest.  “Last I’d heard he was in Mongolia.”

 

Shinigami shrugged, unconcerned.  “Mongolia, China…whatever.  Close enough.”

 

“What have you done?”

 

“I sent him to your nijuushin, of course.”  She grinned and flopped down onto the hummock he’d recently deserted.  “And that, itoshigo, is your ticket home.”  When she didn’t receive a reply she sat up and blinked up at him.  “Aren’t you pleased?”

 

“Ecstatic.  Don’t you think he’s going to be able to tell it isn’t me?”

 

“Nope.  He’s going to assume that your illness has erased your memories.  He’s going to help you get back to Japan and you’re going to meet up with Kaoru and then die.”  It was all said calmly, as if she were discussing nothing more serious than what they would be having for dinner.

 

It took a moment for her words to penetrate the daze clouding Kenshin’s mind.  “What?!”

 

***

 

Definitions:

 

Mamorigami:  Guardian (Deity)

Tsuzukeru:  to continue (carry on, extend)