Rurouni Kenshin Fanfic

Rurouni Kenshin & Samurai X Original Japanese Version © N.Watsuki/Shueisha * Fuji-TV * SME Visual Works Inc. * Sony Pictures Entertainment

All Fanfics created by Chiruken (me) were written for the sole purpose of shared entertainment and not intended for publication or sale.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

 

The Blanket Scenario

Hiko & Kaoru

by Chiruken

Chapter 10

 

 

 

 

 

        “Well?”  Kaoru folded her arms across her chest and glared at the red-haired rurouni with growing irritation.  “I’m waiting, Kenshin>”

 

        “Ano…” He drew in a quick breath, glared at Hiko and finally sighed, his shoulders slumping in defeat.  “You see, Kaoru-dono, I was sidetracked, that I was.”  Reaching inside his faded and worn gi he pulled out a medium-sized object wrapped in cloth.  “I saw this, Kaoru-dono, and I thought of you, that I did.”  He handed the wrapped bundle to her with a half smile.

 

        Kaoru frowned uncertainly and took the package, curious despite herself.  “What is it?”

 

        Hiko slowly lowered his jug of sake and leaned forward a little, curious as well.  “What have you done this time, baka deshi?”

 

        Kenshin ignored his shishou and stepped closer to Kaoru.  “Open it, Kaoru-dono.”  He urged softly, violet eyes focused on her expression.

 

        Slowly sinking to the floor again, Kaoru placed the package in her lap.  Looking up with a smile she met Kenshin’s gaze and blushed before turning her attention back to unwrapping the gift.  Slowly, carefully, fingers shaking with eagerness, she loosened the string holding the cloth in place.  With a soft gasp, her eyes flew to meet Kenshin’s gaze again.  “Kenshin?”  He nodded encouragement, a shy smile curving his lips upwards.  An indigo ribbon lay folded neatly atop midnight blue material with tiny white flowers and butterflies with indigo wings adorning it.  Lifting the ribbon she marveled at the texture.  “It’s silk…” She murmured softly, running the soft fabric through her fingers.  She looked up at the rurouni with a smile.  “Thank you.  It’s beautiful.”  Looking down again she touched the dark fabric reverently with her fingertips before lifting it.  Eyes widening in surprised delight she noticed the white edging at the bottom.  “Oh Kenshin…I’ve never seen anything like it…” Looking closer she noticed some more material tucked inside the folds.  What’s this?  Tugging on the material she blinked and looked up with a smile before looking down again.  A wide strip of colourful material nestled between the midnight hued folds.  Smoothing her fingers over it she closed her eyes with a soft sigh.  “Satin…” She whispered softly.  It was beautiful pink and purple satin with an intricate pattern of indigo flowers and olive green leaves, just wide enough for an obi.  “This is what sidetracked you?”

 

        Placing a hand behind his head in self-conscious embarrassment, the shy rurouni nodded sheepishly.  “Ahhh…yes, Kaoru-dono.  Am I forgiven?”  When she dropped the package to the side and threw herself at him, her arms moving around his neck in a near strangle hold, he blinked in surprise, his own arms going around her slender form automatically.  “Oro.”

 

        Hiko rolled his eyes and tipped the jug back one last time before reaching out and grasping the edge of his cloak with a smirk and wicked amusement glinting in his dark eyes.  “I’ll take that.”  With one sharp tug, he pulled his cloak away, chuckling at Kaoru’s embarrassed shriek and Kenshin’s censuring glare.

 

        Without missing a beat Kenshin hastily shrugged out of his haori and swiftly placed it around Kaoru’s shoulders.  “That wasn’t very nice, shishou, that it was not.”

 

        “I can’t believe you did that, Hiko-san!”  Holding the edges of the dark haori closed across her chest, Kaoru spun and glared at the thirteenth successor of the Hiten Mitsurugi Ryuu.

 

        Drinking from the sake jug again, he smirked at Kenshin’s furious expression.  “So…” He stood in one fluid movement.  “When’s the wedding?”  With that said he strode passed the dumbfounded couple and out the door.  “I’ll check Kaoru-chan’s clothes now.”  The door banged shut behind him, cutting off his laughter.

 

        Kenshin’s violet eyes moved over Kaoru’s form wrapped in his haori appreciatively.  Turning away to stare at the wall, he drew in a quick breath, hoping she hadn’t caught him staring at her.  “Kaoru-dono…” He began hesitantly.

 

        “Yes, Kenshin?”  Kaoru held the edges of Kenshin’s haori closed tightly with one hand while raising her other to brush her hair out of her eyes.  Pausing with a blush, she gave into temptation and rubbed her cheek against the material of the sleeve, eyes closed, as she drew in a deep breath.  Mmm…laundry soap and outdoorsy freshness…it smells just like Kenshin…

 

        “Perhaps next time you go out you should take extra clothes, that you should.”  He winced inwardly.  That isn’t what I wanted to say at all!

 

        “You’re right.”  Slowly she opened her eyes to stare at his back, a soft sigh escaping her parted lips, her eyes softening and shining with all the feelings she felt for her stubborn and oh-so clueless rurouni.  “I’ll remember that next time.”  And maybe someday you’ll return my feelings, too, Kenshin…

 

 

**Owari**

 

Author’s Notes:

 

This ending ended up being more of a cliffhanger than a proper finale.  Sorry!  I actually do have a half formed plan for a sequel, that I do.  It may take a while…but eventually it will get written, I promise.

 

Thanks for being patient with me and how long it took to finally finish this.