It’s modern day.  The streets are rife with violence; corporations are corrupt; assassinations, commonplace.  Himura Kenshin, known only as Battousai, is a shadow assassin for an organization so secret even he doesn’t know who truly runs it.  But Battousai has an even bigger secret; one that if it were ever discovered would mean more than his death…it would end in the total annihilation of his soul.  Battousai is not only the deadliest assassin to ever prowl the dark streets of night…he is also a vampire, one of the oldest still in existence…and a rarity among his kind.

 

He has a soul.

 

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Rurouni Kenshin Fanfic

Rurouni Kenshin & Samurai X Original Japanese Version © N.Watsuki/Shueisha * Fuji-TV * SME Visual Works Inc. * Sony Pictures Entertainment

All Fanfics created by Chiruken (me) were written for the sole purpose of shared entertainment and not intended for publication or sale.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

 

Tears of Eternity

by:  Chiruken

 

 

 

Chapter 8

 

 

He trembled with barely restrained fury, the need to commit violence strong within him.  His arms tightened possessively around the young woman he held and he drew in a deep breath in an effort to regain some semblance of control.  An instant later he closed his eyes and inhaled deeply again, savoring a subtle fragrance he recognized as Kaoru’s own special scent.  Slowly he smoothed his hand over her long, dark hair again and then lifted a few strands to sniff appreciatively, attempting to identity the elusively delicate scent.  The overlying perfume was easily recognized as chamomile with a hint of vanilla.  He pulled her closer and inhaled deeply again, finally naming the other fragrance as orange.  It was a unique perfume, at once able to intoxicate the senses and also soothe the soul.

 

        He sighed softly, releasing the dark strands reluctantly.  The delicate fragrance was alarmingly addictive, pulling at his senses, drawing him into an ever tightening spiral of heightened awareness and need for the young woman he held in his arms.  The strength of the almost obsessive attraction terrified him in its intensity and he pulled back abruptly, withdrawing from the dangerous power she held over him, focusing instead on the knowing gaze of the other man watching him with an unreadable expression in his amber eyes.  He stood slowly and glared up at Saito, his resentment clear in his narrowed golden gaze.  “What are you doing here?”

 

        “Have you forgotten what the year is?”  The biting scorn in the other man’s voice was unmistakable.  He reached down and tugged his coat away from the trembling young woman, smirking at her shocked expression and rapidly reddening cheeks.  He glanced at Kenshin and scowled.  “Moron.”  He turned on his heel, shoving his hands into his pockets, sword concealed under his long midnight blue trench coat, and slowly strode away towards the mouth of the alley.  “The girl needs training, Battousai.  Can you provide that for her?”  Without waiting for a reply, he disappeared into the night.

 

        With a soft sigh, Kenshin turned slowly to face the girl in question again.  “Are you all right?”  Rather than answering, she shrunk back away from him, eyes wide with fear as she tried to cover herself from his view.  His expression hardened when his gaze moved over her exposed curves, the bruised flesh and finally settling on the streak of blood trickling from the corner of her mouth.  A wave of anger flooded through him and if her attacker could have been raised from the dead, he would have killed him again…slowly, with as much pain inflicted as possible.  He shook his head sharply and focused on the young woman staring up at him with wide, terrified eyes.  “Kaoru…” He murmured her name softly, forcing the anger out of his tone, striving to keep his voice calm and soothing.  “It’s all right now…”

 

        “S-stay away from me!”  He flinched at the near hysterical note in her cry and reached for her again only to blink in surprise when she scooted away from him, out of reach.  “Don’t touch me!”

 

        Kaoru, let me help you… He decided to try another approach, one that had succeeded at calming the young woman’s frazzled nerves before.

 

        Her eyes widened in shock.  “W-what?!”  She looked around frantically, eyes darting around the alley, flitting momentarily on the corpse before jerking away and meeting his gaze again.  “It was you!”  She cried, hugging her slender form in an attempt to cover herself from his gaze.

 

        Tilting his head to the side he studied her curiously.  “Pardon?”  Calm, little one…calm.  I will not leave you.  You are safe now.

 

        She covered her ears, squeezing her eyes shut tight.  “Stop it!  Stay out of my head!”  She turned and ran blindly into the darkness of the alley.

 

        Swearing under his breath he followed, easily closing the gap.  Catching her around the waist he pulled her frantically struggling form into his arms, holding her tightly.  “Shh…” He murmured against her hair.  “Kaoru, you are safe.  No one will hurt you.”  When she continued to fight, he gritted his teeth and stamped down on his frustration.  “Kaoru, I’m not going to hurt you…” He hissed in pain when she managed to land a successful kick on his shin.  “Stop that!”  He shook her a little to gain her attention.  “What’s wrong with you?  I’m trying to help you.”

 

        Lips pressed into a tight line, she stared up at him defiantly.  “I know who you are.  I saw you.”  She drew in a shuddering breath.  “I saw you kill that man.”

 

        He released her abruptly, schooling his features to impassivity.  “I see.”  He drew in a deep breath and released it slowly, watching as she backed away from him again.  “I don’t suppose you’d be willing to forget about that, would you?”

 

        She blinked at him in obvious surprise.  “Why?”  She shook her head sharply.  “No, wait.  Don’t answer that.  I don’t want to hear your excuses.”  She paused and stopped moving when her back hit the wall.  “What are you going to do to me?”

 

        He threw his hands up in exasperation.  “I’ve told you…I want to help.”  He shook his head and advanced on her again.

 

        “I-I don’t need you help…” Her eyes followed his every move as he closed the distance between them again.

 

        “Yes you do.”  He placed his hands against the wall on either side of her head and leaned in close, lowering his voice to a bare whisper.  “More than you could begin to imagine, Kaoru…”

 

 

**To Be Continued…**