Rurouni Kenshin Fanfic

Rurouni Kenshin & Samurai X Original Japanese Version ©N. Watsuki/Shueisha * Fuji-TV * SME Visual Works Inc. * Sony Pictures Entertainment

All Fanfics created by Chiruken (me) were written for the sole purpose of shared entertainment and not intended for publication or sale.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

 

The Madness of the Hitokiri

Fanfic By:  Chiruken

 

Part 5

 

 

        Amber eyes glittered in the semi-darkness of the alley, watchful, intent, alert…insane.  The scent of blood was strong on the night air, wafting towards the shadow-enshrouded figure standing motionless at the mouth of the alley, just out of reach of the full moon’s rays.  He sniffed tentatively, and then wrinkled his nose in disgust.  Over the past few months since his last confrontation with Saito Hajime, captain of the third squad of the Shinsengumi, the young man known as Hitokiri Battousai had known a steady decline in his professed enjoyment of killing.  He didn’t know why this was happening, only that it was.  Just as quickly as the blood lust had overcome him, it was now leaving him.  For the first time in months he began to think clearly again, as if awakening from a long, dark and terrifying nightmare.  He no longer knew if the memories were true or a figment of his own demented imagination.  All he knew was that somehow along the path to the birth of the ideals of the Ishinshishi he’d lost his ability to decipher reality from fantasy and this, he knew, was more terrifying than the worst of the blood filled nightmares that had been haunting his nights of late.  This problem of his was bound to get him killed.

 

        And so he stood partially concealed in a dark and dingy alley, peering out of the shadows warily, watching the scene unfold before him as he carefully masked his ki.  He would watch and wait.  He didn’t think he’d killed those people…but he couldn’t be certain.  Not anymore.  He knew he couldn’t rely on his dubious memory any longer.  Tonight’s answer would determine his fate.  If it turned out that he had, indeed, slaughtered those travelers in the street, then he had no choice but to end his life.  If he couldn’t remember what he’d done…then there was no telling what else he could’ve done while caught in the throes of madness.

 

        His hand tightened on the hilt of his katana as he leaned forward a little more, straining to catch the patrol leader’s report and assessment.  Holding his breath, he leaned forward some more, compromising his hidden position in his desperation to know the truth.  “Bandits.  Bastards.”  Battousai closed his eyes and breathed a silent sigh of relief.  The next instant his eyes snapped open again as he caught the rest of the words drifting on the breeze.  “Damn.  They even killed the child.  Monsters!  They must be stopped.”

 

        Child?  A child was slain?  Battousai tilted his head to the side thoughtfully.  Perhaps by way of atonement he could help this patrol bring the bandits to justice.  His atonement for not being there to save an innocent’s life.  Making his decision, he silently disappeared into the night.  The kill had been fresh, therefore he’d have a fairly decent trail to follow.  Sniffing the air delicately, he turned his head slowly, taking in his surroundings.  If I were a bandit, where would I go?  Slowly he turned towards the warehouses along the river.  A slow, predatory smile tilted the corners of his lips upwards.  Ah…of course.  The less population, the less likelihood of discovery.  Perhaps bandits have more in common with assassins that I previously gave them credit for.  He paused, a scowl marring his youthful features.  He didn’t like the sounds of that.  “Bandits have no honour.”

 

        “And you do?”

 

        Amber eyes widening in shock, Battousai spun to face the owner of the familiar cold voice, a cheerful smile of greeting brightening his expression.  “Saito Hajime, what a pleasant surprise.”  For once he actually meant the words.

 

        Saito scowled at the younger man and raised his katana, ready to defend himself at a moment’s notice should it become necessary.  “Is that so?”

 

        Nodding slowly, he watched the other man’s every move intently.  “What brings you out here?”  He asked as nonchalantly as he could under the circumstances, golden gaze wary.

 

        The Shinsngumi captain frowned, watching the hitokiri carefully, noting his non-aggressive attitude and the oddity of his uncharacteristic friendliness.  “What are you up to?”  He didn’t bother trying to keep the suspicious note out of his tone.  He’d learned through his past dealings with Hitokiri Battousai that it was pointless in trying to keep his emotions hidden.  The younger man had an uncanny ability to sense these things.

 

        “Somebody murdered a child tonight.  I intend to bring tenchu to him in return.”  He rested his hand against the familiar worn hilt of his katana, fingers caressing the leather almost lovingly.  “The innocents should not be made to suffer in the world of men, Saito.  It isn’t right.”  His eyes grew unfocused as his mind dwelled on the distant yet not so distant memory of his own childhood.  “Children should not be made to suffer…” He repeated softly.  Suddenly he shook himself, pushing the memories back into his subconscious and refocusing on the present.  “They are like mad dogs, and as such must be put down for the safety of all.”

 

        Saito wasn’t certain if he understood the hitokiri’s motives entirely, but what he did know was that he was on a set path and wouldn’t be swayed from it.  “All this for the sake of one child?  You are aware that you could be captured tonight…”

 

        He shook his head sharply.  “Not captured.  Never that.  Better to die than to suffer that dishonour.”

 

        He nodded his understanding and agreement.  He felt the same way.  “All right, not captured, but killed instead.  You would risk your life for the sake of one dead child?”

 

        Battousai’s expression hardened, amber eyes glittering with rage.  “Yes.  And for all the other children these bastards killed or might kill.  For the women they dishonoured and the men they butchered.  This was no act of war…it was murder.”

 

        Saito nodded again.  “And this is what separates you from them, is it?”  When he didn’t receive an answer he shrugged.  “It isn’t my place to judge you to be hypocritical or not, Battousai.  My duty is to see the eradication of all evil.”

 

        “Aku soku zan.”  The smaller man smiled grimly.  “Yes, I remember.”  Tilting his head to the side he allowed his smile to turn somewhat wicked.  “I’ll make you a deal, Saito.  Interested?”

 

        “What kind of deal, Battousai?”  Slowly he lowered his katana, not quite certain if he should trust the hitokiri to not attack.

 

        “Just this once we join forces, work together towards a common goal, and bring these bandits to justice.”

 

        “And why would I do that?”  When the younger man clasped his hands behind his back and rocked back on his heels, Saito sheathed his katana and folded his arms over his chest.  “Well?”

 

        “You want them dead, as do I.  It’s as simple as that.  Both of us are happy and justice is served.  The streets of Kyoto are rid of one more pack of mad dogs and the children are safe for one more night.  Isn’t that reason enough?”

 

        “You’re different.  Something’s changed.”  Saito studied the young hitokiri with narrowed eyes.  “Where’s the demented, maniacal glee at the prospect of drawing blood?  Where’s the anticipation of the enjoyment of killing?”

 

        “You think too much, Saito.  Are you interested or not?  It’s as simple as a yes or no.  No need to analyze the why’s and how’s.”  Battousai watched the taller man warily, almost holding his breath as he awaited the answer.  It was true…he did have ulterior motives for inviting Saito to join him in his hunt.

 

        Saito’s eyes narrowed as he stared at the younger man, trying to determine the cause of his growing unease.  A moment later his eyes widened almost imperceptibly.  “Perhaps a temporary alliance would be beneficial to this common goal we seem to find ourselves working towards.”

 

        “Excellent.”  Turning to stare across the bridge towards the darkened warehouses, he rested his hand on the hilt of his katana, fingers moving in a gentle caress of the familiar worn leather as his narrowed gaze studied the area alertly.  It was a relief to him that Saito had agreed to the temporary alliance.  He wanted the other man to know that he was just the demented freak he obviously believed him to be.  Eyes closing for a moment he drew in a shuddering breath, silently acknowledging that he needed to prove it to himself as well.  Slowly opening his eyes again, he focused on the rows of rooftops, searching for a sign…anything…that would give up the location of the murderous bandits.  “Nothing.”  He muttered under his breath before turning to face Saito warily as he stepped closer.

 

        “What was that?”  Studying the smaller man from the corner of his eye, Saito was certain that something had changed in his demeanor.  But what?

 

        “They cover their tracks well.”  Raising a hand to push his hair out of his eyes, Battousai frowned in concentration.  “Where would they be…” He murmured softly, eyes scanning the area constantly.  “Where could they go…” He took a slow step forward before pausing.  Something didn’t feel right.  Tilting his head to the side, he scowled, trying to find a cause for his growing unease.

 

        “What are you doing?”  Saito strode forward boldly, stepping passed him onto the bridge, his footsteps echoing hollowly against the wood.

 

        Moonlight glinting momentarily off of a reflective surface about six inches above the wooden plank caught his attention.  “Saito…” The other man either didn’t hear or chose to ignore him.  “Saito, stop!  It’s a trap!”  He moved fast, throwing his weight forward, his smaller, compact form slamming into the Shinsengumi captain just as a loud report filled the night, throwing him off balance against the rail and over.

 

**To Be Continued…**