Rurouni Kenshin Fanfic

Rurouni Kenshin & Samurai X Original Japanese Version ©N. Watsuki/Shueisha * Fuji-TV * SME Visual Works Inc. * Sony Pictures Entertainment

All Fanfics created by Chiruken (me) were written for the sole purpose of shared entertainment and not intended for publication or sale.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

 

The Madness of the Hitokiri

Fanfic By:  Chiruken

 

Part 6

 

 

 

        Moonlight glinting momentarily off of a reflective surface about six inches above the wooden plank caught his attention.  “Saito…” The other man either didn’t hear or chose to ignore him.  “Saito, stop!  It’s a trap!”  He moved fast, throwing his weight forward, his smaller, compact form slamming into the Shinsengumi captain just as a loud report filled the night, throwing him off balance against the rail and over.

 

        Saito fell with a muffled curse and a resounding splash.  Resurfacing swiftly he looked around for the hitokiri and saw him still on the bridge braced against the rail.  It was then that the sound he’d heard as the smaller man pushed him registered.  “Gunfire…” Swiftly swimming to shore, he made his way up the steep bank with much cursing under his breath until finally he was able to reach the top, where he promptly flattened his large frame against the ground and watched the scene unfold.  In the time it had taken him to get out of the water it appeared that Battousai had managed to get himself captured.  With a smirk of grim amusement Saito stood abruptly, drawing his katana swiftly.  He approached quickly and silently, taking care to stay as close to the shadows as possible.

 

        “There were two.  Where’s the other one?”

 

        “I don’t know.  The little one pushed his friend over the rail.”  Saito chuckled inwardly.  I imagine Battousai is appreciating being referred to as the ‘little one’…almost as much as I’m enjoying being referred to as his friend.

 

        Saito halted and watched as the hitokiri began to move, struggling against the larger men’s grip.  He winced when he realized that once he was immobilized, Hitokiri Battousai was mortal just like the rest of them.  Though he held no true liking for the younger man, he did owe him a debt of honour.  He looked closer, the moonlight illuminating the scene with bright silvery light.  Amber eyes narrowing, Saito scowled as he finally got a decent view of the hitokiri.  Bastard…why did he have to go and do something stupid like that?

 

        Battousai winced as he was pulled roughly to his feet, his wounded side protesting stridently as his daisho was removed from his reach.  It didn’t take long for him to recognize the stench of death and blood clinging to the men surrounding him.  Glaring at those closest to him with glittering amber eyes, he bared his teeth in a snarl of hatred and rage.  A moment later he fell to his knees, eyes closed tight, teeth clenched against the rising waves of agony as he was kicked in the side.  He could feel the warm stickiness of fresh blood flowing from the wound.  Breath coming in shallow pants, he waited for the wave of nausea to pass before attempting to raise his head again.  Looking up slowly he met the eyes of what he assumed to be the leader.  Slowly, ignoring the pain and the certainty that he would be knocked down again, he stood.  Raising his head to stare directly at the bandit leader, amber eyes flashing with defiance, Battousai drew in a quick breath, preparing himself for whatever would come next.  “You murdered a child.  For this, I bring tenchu to you.  Prepare yourselves.” 

 

        Saito swore under his breath and raised his katana into position for the Gatoutsu.  “Ahou.”  He couldn’t believe anyone would be stupid enough to issue such a blatant challenge when he was both injured and weaponless.  Without waiting for their stunned reactions to be replaced by deadly humor, he attacked, taking down two bandits before the others had the presence of mind to react.

 

        Using the distraction of Saito’s Gatoutsu, Battousai lunged for his own katana.  He’d just reached for the sheathed weapon when he felt a sharp agonizing blow to his injured side.  Breath emerging on a pained hiss, he rolled with the blow, taking the saya with him.  Stupid, stupid, stupid!  It was a mantra in his mind.  He caught a brief glimpse of Saito off to the side as he continued to roll, the bandit following swinging a large staff.  A moment later he amended that assessment to large spear when the blade grazed his hip, biting into the flesh and drawing more blood.  He knew that if he continued to lose blood like this it would weaken him and leave him open to all attacks.  That was unacceptable to him.  Shifting his grip on the saya, he reached up and grasped the hilt of the katana.  Using the momentum of his roll he twisted and managed to gain his feet, swiftly drawing the katana in one fluid move and swore softly under his breath.  His loss of blood had already slowed his battousjutsu to a fraction of its normal speed.

 

        “Is that the best you can do, boy?”  Hefting the spear with practiced ease, the bandit stepped forward with a condescending smirk.  “Do you even know how to use that katana, or are you merely play acting?”

 

        Lips curving upwards into a smirk, Battousai slid the blade into the saya with a quick flick of his wrist.  “I’m going to enjoy making you bleed.”  Licking his lips in anticipation, the hitokiri shifted his stance, ignoring the piercing agony of the wound in his side, and allowed his hand to hover over the hilt of the familiar weapon.  Focusing intently on the other man, he forced everything else to the background, amber eyes narrowed with concentration as he sent forth his senses, reading the bandit’s intentions through his fluctuating ki.  “Did you kill that child swiftly…or did you draw it out, enjoying the scent of blood…the taste of it?”

 

        “What the—“ Eyes widening in shock, the man gripped his spear tight enough his knuckles turned white.  In his mind there was something very wrong with the boy standing before him holding the sheathed katana with such casual skill.  His words sent a shiver coursing down his spine and he realized too late that he’d grossly underestimated his opponent.  “Who are you?”

 

        Saito slowly stepped forward, resting the bloodied blade of his katana against the shaking bandit’s shoulder next to his exposed neck.  “You now face Hitokiri Battousai.  I would suggest saying you prayers, vermin.  He dislikes scum like you nearly as much as I do.”

 

        As if this were the cue to move, Battousai sprang forward with blinding speed and drew his katana in one deadly motion, slashing the immobilized man across the chest.  Exerting extreme control he stopped his blade from continuing on to cut into Saito’s exposed side.  Pressing up against his enemy he stared into his eyes watching as realization dawned and the life began to fade.  “Tenchu.”  He whispered as his latest victim fell, dead, to the bloodstained ground.  Slowly allowing his sword-arm to fall to his side he turned to face the Shinsengumi captain.  “Saito…”

 

        “Ahou.”  After performing a curt chiburi he bent to wipe the remaining blood from his blade on the bandit’s clothes.  “Why?”  He asked after straightening.

 

        With a careless shrug, Battousai turned to stare at the moon.  “Does it matter?”  The scent of blood was strong in the air, permeating his senses, calling to him seductively, sickening him, turning his stomach.  Slowly he pressed a shaking hand to his injured side, feeling the sticky warmth of blood flow over his fingers.  “Justice was served.  There is no need to pursue this further.”

 

        “What?  You aren’t going to try to kill me?”  Saito snorted derisively.  “What of that promise you made last time we faced each other?”

 

        Remembering clearly that he’d promised to end Saito Hajime’s life the next time they met, the hitokiri shrugged again.  “I don’t feel like it.  Maybe next time.”

 

        “You should take care of that, Battousai.”  He gestured towards the smaller man’s injured side.  “As much as it galls me to admit it, I owe you a debt of honour.”

 

        “You owe me nothing.”  With a quick flick of his wrist, he performed a swift chiburi.  “I don’t accept your ‘debt of honour’.”  The words dripped with bitter sarcasm, his disdain for the concept of Saito owing him anything of the sort was obvious.  Reaching inside his haori he withdrew a cloth and used it to rid his blade of all remaining blood before carelessly tossing it atop the fallen bandit’s corpse.

 

        “You’re different.”  Saito scowled when the sound of running feet drifted on the night air.  “And if you don’t leave now, you’ll be dead.”

 

        “Ahh…” His lips twisted into a smirk.  “The patrol from earlier.”  Amber gaze moving to rest on the bared steel of his blade, he fell silent for a moment.  “If you let me go, Saito, you will be branded a traitor.”

 

        “Get out of here.”  He turned his back on the younger man purposefully, knowing, somehow, that he wouldn’t try to kill him.  Not tonight, at least.  “Go now and consider this repayment for your actions earlier.”

 

        The sound of the blade sliding into its sheath was loud in the ensuing silence.  “Until next time, then, Saito Hajime.”  Turning on his heel, Battousai swiftly disappeared into the night, using the sudden darkness of clouds drifting over the moon to mask his movements.

 

        Saito closed his eyes and drew in a deep breath of the night air, ignoring the unmistakable tang of freshly spilled blood.  “Until next time, Battousai.”  He murmured softly, reaching inside his haori and withdrawing a package of cigarettes.

 

**To Be Continued…**